You haven’t experienced Lancaster County until you’ve been to an Amish Mud Sale where the Amish and the English come together at the auction block. Fire companies located in Amish communities host a Mud Sale as their annual fundraiser. Held on weekends from late February to early April, you’ll need to wear your boots as the ground is often in a thawing condition.
Some Mud Sales draw as many as 20,000 people and you’ll find everything on the auction block up for bid i.e., furniture, hand-stitched Amish quilts, locally made crafts, livestock, buggies, antiques, farming supplies, house wares, produce and more. As many as five or six auctions are happening at the same time.
A Mud Sale has the feel of a community fair and would not be complete without hearty farm fare. There is nothing more warming on a chilly morning than a cup of Pennsylvania Dutch chicken corn soup. You’ll also find the traditional PA Dutch Whoopie Pies, funnel cake and sticky buns.
The first Mud Sale of 2015 kicks off at 8:30am on February 28 at the Strasburg Fire Company located at 46 W. Main Street, Strasburg approximately a seven-minute drive from After Eight Bed & Breakfast. Other Mud Sales in close proximity are:
- March 6 - Bart Township Auction & Mud Sale, Quarryville (12 minutes)
- March 13 & 14 - Gordonville Spring Mud Sale & Auction, Gordonville (4 minutes)
- March 27-28 – Gap Fire Company Sale, Gap (10 minutes)
- March 28 – West Earl Fire Company Annual Quilt & Consignment Auction, Brownstown (19 minutes)
- June 26 – Lancaster County Carriage & Antique Auction, Bird-in-Hand (5 minutes)
- June 27 – Refton Fire Company Sale, Refton (17 minutes)
- August 7 & 8 – Gap Relief Auction, Quarryville (20 minutes)
- August 29 – Kinzer Fire Company Mud Sale, Kinzers (6 minutes)
As Charlie Chaplin once said, “Anyone can make them cry. It takes a genius to make them laugh.” At the Rainbow Dinner Theatre, located in nearby Paradise, the performances are all Broadway-style comedies. What they do best at the Rainbow is make you laugh.
The price of your ticket includes an all-you-can-eat buffet with four main entrees, a variety of sides and a selection of cakes and pies. The menu varies depending upon the fancy of the chef and time of year.
The first show of 2015 is “Squabbles” about two live-in in-laws and a baby on the way. You’ll be laughing from start to finish. Matinee and evening performances are available from January 23 to March 21 (Wednesday through Sunday). Visit the Rainbow Dinner Theatre website for times and what’s on the menu.
The Rainbow Dinner Theatre is conveniently located less than two minutes from After Eight Bed & Breakfast. Other shows scheduled for the 2015 season include:
- The Hallelujah Girls – March 28 to May 23
- Too Many Cooks – May 30 to August 8
- Over the River & Through the Woods – August 15 to October 24
- Good Night Mrs. Puffin – October 31 to December 27
The Rainbow Dinner Theater is now performing through October 29, 2011, John Loves Mary. Set in 1945 at the end of the war, John marries his best friends English girl friend. She can then enter the USA and then get a quickie divorce to marry his best buddy. Of course John is planning on marrying his girl friend Mary.
Sight & Sound Theater presents their all new and original show, Jonah. This show is for only one season, you will not want to miss this experience, and this is an experience you will remember. The huge sets surround you on three sides, overhead and with live animals even coming down the aisles. These "masters of the theater" have created astounding sets that will thrill you from the moment you enter the theater.